Sunday, July 19

Judgement & Jewelry

Hello everyone!

A few days ago I was in town with a friend and I noticed for the first time how often she said something along the lines of "omg why is he/she wearing that item of clothing/colour/style? That's so dumb/ugly".
And I didn't say anything.
Now I wish I had.
Because in retrospect, why the f*ck does she care? That person, walking along the street has nothing to do with her, and even if they did, it's not her problem what he/she is wearing.
I get that if a friend wanted to buy something that didn't suit them at all, you could jump in and tell them not to.
But talking shit about people behind their backs is just plain mean, and I hate it.
Most of all because we don't know anything about that persons background. You know, they could be wearing black in the middle of summer ("Omg, why is she so dumb?! It's summer!") because a friend of hers died. Or her mother only buys black clothes for her because she's an international jewelry thief.

The point is, before I start rambling about the reasons for wearing black clothes, that you shouldn't judge people if you don't know everything about them.
Which you don't. I don't think that anyone knows everything about anyone, except maybe yourself, and even that does not happen very often.
Someone might be going through something really hard, and your comment, even though they might not hear you, is so not useful. It doesn't help anyone. You have no right to say things about them. If it makes you feel cool or some sh*t like that, just get out.

But sadly, I cannot say I don't judge. I start judging so quickly and I really dislike myself when I notice. When I see someone, I instantly judge them by their appearance, by their posture and their interactions with other people. And that makes me sad.

But I think we can also work on that.

We have to work on it.
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F236x%2F77%2F49%2F58%2F774958e5d5b7e2de6fabc1f4cfac1b68.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fexplore%2Fquotes-about-judgement%2F&h=330&w=236&tbnid=4Vgy40KVw0dTaM%3A&docid=A0o4fOuzg0NSxM&ei=49WnVcjgB8m9swGsp6eQBw&tbm=isch&client=safari&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=2141&page=1&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=0CCAQrQMwAGoVChMIiN6ju4PgxgIVyd4sCh2s0wly


That's it. Byeee!

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes judging strangers is the most entertaining thing, even though it's never completely true because we don't know their full story. I guess judging is something we do, but we can't let it consume us as a fact. I'm guilty of judging at first glance as well, but the important thing is that we try not to let our actions reflect our judgements, and we act neutral until we know enough.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, we just can't let our actions be defined by quick judgemental thoughts

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We NEED to work on it. A comment, no matter how innocent or insignificant it may seem in your eyes, could have a disastrous impact on someone else. I'm ashamed to say that I'm sometimes guilty of judging, too. Who the hell do I think I am to judge people by their appearance? This is a true reality check. Thanks, Booksballetphotos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, we all need to work on it, we need to "start with the man in the mirror" as Michael Jackson put it.

      Delete
  4. You need a million followers (if you don't have so already). I love your posts, they're so thoughtful and reflect what I think. :) I think we should definitely stop judging others, even if the judgement in particular is popular. Judge actions, not dress choice and appearance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That means a lot!
      Yes, that's the great thing about blogging, you aren't judged on your appearance

      Delete